Saturday, January 31, 2009

another challenge

Moving to New York was certainly the toughest move ever. While I flew out here and have been here for almost 4 weeks, my stuff from Portland that was shipped freight, never decided to show up until this week. It's a long, frustrating story.

Alas, I've been without tools, machines, specific fabrics and needless to say, I have lost a lot of time. I've decided to do a static presentation during fashion week and it is about 3 weeks away. I have 2.5 things done at this moment. I want 12 looks. It's going to be hellish these next few weeks, but I'm going to do whatever it takes. And I want it to be good.  This is the challenge of challenges and I'm going to try to document it as much as possible.
To add on top of that, I'm having to work out of our apt for the time being, which I've done for years, so no biggie. The catch is Monkey, Nathan's cat. Well, Monkey has impeccable taste when it comes to choosing a spot to sleep on. Monkey prefers to lie on the most expensive of silks, and scratch her claws on only the finest of wools. Monkey has now been banned from this room, but she always tries to go where she's not allowed. I love Monkey, but she is mischievous! 

This is going to be tough, but I'm excited to be back to work again and I'm excited for the task at hand.  I am not well when I'm not creating, and I fall into a bad rut. It's exhilarating to sit down and sew and drape after having not. It's also reassuring to know that I haven't forgotten a thing, despite silly doubts that enter my mind sometimes. I made some really great boobie-cups yesterday! :)

21 comments:

Yess said...

I respect your cat's taste, because it means that these fine and expensive materials are available to her through you. Therefore, the cat's good taste is a reflection of your own.


P.S. That purple! Unbelievable.

Ann said...

Mmm, that's a gorgeous color. Please show us pictures of the finished piece!

And good luck with your looks, if anyone can do it, it's going to be you!

That's MIZZ Gypsy To You! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
That's MIZZ Gypsy To You! said...

I wish there were a way to edit comments without deleting and starting over. Sigh!

I will assume (yeah, yeah, ass out of me and Uma Thurman...the only Al Franken joke I ever really liked) that you're reading this after Fashion Week because you need to be working. So while I wish you lots of luck and acclaim you won't know it until now. I'll keep an eye out for coverage of your collection.

I can't design. I can quilt a little but that's the limit of what I can do without a commercial pattern (and even with one it still looks amateurish.) But watching your process inspires me to try harder. If you ever come back to Portland, I'd be happy to salute you in whatever local beverage you choose.

Chloe said...

Good luck, Leanne! You can do it.

And man, those ARE some nice boobie cups.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

good luck!!! huge good luck! i can't wait to hear all about it and see great photos!

THANKS for stopping by my blog and checking out my bolero (inspired by YOU) last week. i was thrilled that you stopped by!!! Does that make me 1 degree removed from Tim Gunn (who needs to give me a makeover someday...a girl can dream).

KrazyFashion said...

Hahaha that ending to the post "boobie cups" made me laugh so hard.
I love the way that is coming out! I wish you good luck at fashion week. I wish i could be there. :p

Brittney said...

LOVE the purple! All the insanity will be a distant memory when your collection hits the runway in a few weeks. Good luck!

Giovanna said...

I love the purple fabric you chose. Purple has become one of my favorite colors when I'm searching for fabrics. I think purple blends beautifully with other colors too. Good luck on everything! I'm sure you will come up with something really fabulous as always. Thanks for sharing your working process with us. Best wishes!
:)

Colleen MacDonald said...

Fabulous booby cups! I have complete confidence in your collection for fashion week. I can't wait to hear all about it and to see pictures. But AFTER you get some sleep!

fraisedesbois said...

I already like the bustier in purple color.
I am sending you some good energy in the cosmos for your collection. All the best.

Anonymous said...

OHhhhhhh, I LOVE this color, Leanne. Good luck in getting your work done. I'm sending you good creative vibes your way.

the lanky dance said...

Im so excited for you! I hope I will get to see some pictures of your stuff! We miss you, tomorrow we are having a dinner of desserts, its a shame you can't be here to get fat with us. We will toast to you, and all the beautiful boobie cups you have probably finished at this point.

Unknown said...

Now I hardly feel bad for not checking in on whether or not you wanted to diorama (I flaked...erf, the sludginess!)--you are clearly way too busy! Well, don't worry...I have many crafty diversions up my sleeve when you get a minute. Go for it, break a leg!

Dear Drunk Girl said...

Now I hardly feel bad for not checking in on whether or not you wanted to diorama (I flaked...erf, the sludgy cold!)--you are clearly way too busy! Well, don't worry...I have many crafty diversions up my sleeve when you get a minute. Go for it, break a leg!

a.mi said...

great boobie cups indeed! :) that purple is so royal! can't wait to see the finished work!

jessedgeisnotalaskan said...

very pretty boobie cups :)

my puppy can be like that,she's everywhere you don't need/want her. but when i need her near me she is no where to be found!

designsbyone said...

yikes! 12 looks in such a short amount of time...good luck! I'm sure that not only will you pull it off, but it will also be great :)

m a r i s s a said...

wow. leanne. you're my favorite project runway winner. i wish all the best

KATLIN said...

I love that first pic and how abstract it looks... like a purple booby spaceship.

glam.spoon said...

you just didn't get enough of a challenge on PR did you? ;)